Sunday, February 28, 2010

House I think. . .

Well, I think the house asset should be just about done now. I decided to use a BSP for the base house and add my assets on top of it. The only thing we're going to have to do differently than what I have set up, is raise the whole house up a bit so the stoop isn't sitting straight on the ground. Other than that, I think it's going to work!

Friday, February 26, 2010

House Front:

Spent probably too long messing around with materials in Unreal to see if I could achieve a pseudo reflection effect. This uses a scene capture 2D actor that I'm projecting onto the texture with an add and alpha mask. I also threw in a little parallax so the reflection looks a little more lifelike. It's not perfect, but I think the effect is pretty convincing to the scrutinizing eye. I also learned that bloom effect = awesome. More to come soon! But now, the sweet siren of sleep is calling. . . why is the sun up already?

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sky Domino:

Been working on the sky dome for the past couple of days. I think I'm pretty close to being done - maybe a few more tweaks here and there. I've also got a portion of the nebula for the bottom half of the sky, but it still needs some work so I'll save that post for another day (hopefully tomorrow).

The sky dome Texture:

Unreal and a little fun with glowy stuff:

Purple Clouds:

Look Mah, no seams!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The asset Train:

Well, I'm definitely not as fast as I'd like to be, but here are some assets for the house / rift-wild. They're all unwrapped and ready to go - I might do some zbrushing for the brick on the chimneys and the wood on the table, nothing too fancy though. Hopefully I'll get a little faster at this and have a few more ready for Saturday.


That poly count is waaaay off - I forgot to delete one of the high-res assets and it's adding about 7,296 tris to the scene. In other words, actual poly count is 4,826 tris total.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Translation Device and Monocole Together at Last!

So, I think I'm about 95% done with the said Translation device and Monocle. I need to read up on some Tutes for animated textures so I can fix the emissive aspects. Other than that, I think it's time to move on to some old-fashioned, hard-core assetting!

Translation Thingy:

Well, it's been a while since I've updated the old blog, but I'm still working, I just decided not to spam the site too much. Anyway, I've been working on the translation device and monocle for the scientist. As of now, I think the translation device is just about done. The monocle still needs some texture map slapped on it, but hopefully that won't take too long seeing how time is of the essence. . .

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Texture WIP:

Now, to follow up for the night, here's a little current status update on where I'm at with texturing. I'm still not 100% sold on the leather pants, but the blue genes he had before were a little weird. Anyway, I'm not minding the overall brownish tone he's taking, I just hope it doesn't make him too bland.

Normals and Lighting:

Well, forgot to post the shots of the scientist that were in the Alpha presentation. Basically just normal maps and diffuse to test the baked textures. I also did a little lighting test to simulate roughly what he might look like in the game environment (if he were all grey).

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Final Topology:

Alright, after several hours of topo-grinding, I think I'm pretty much done with the low-poly cage. I'm pretty happy because for once in my life, I actually made my triangle budget! He's sitting comfortably at 9,474 tris, just a bit under the 10k constraint we're working with. He could have been much lower res (and might end up being depending how people react to it) but he's got a lot of detail in the cloth wrinkles and I didn't want to sacrifice it. The result is a bit triangle-heavy, but I tried to put them in places that aren't going to interfere with deformation of the model. Anyway, enough chit-chat, here's the results:

And a closeup of the face:

Zbrush Milestone:

Alright, here it is - the final(ish) Zbrush model! I probably will go in and add a few minor details later, but I needed a break from Zebrushing so I went to work on re-topologizing a low-poly final mesh. Anyway, here are some high-res shots of the Zbrush Model: