Well, this isn't much to show for a post, but the significance is too great to not mention. Basically, with these little crappy attached images, I have managed to confirm that my new pipeline is going to work! I will now be rapidly detailing my model in Zbrush and rather than re-topologizing the Zbrush model, unwrapping the model, then going back into Zbrush and detailing the new topology, I will simply detail the base mesh in Zbrush, retopologize in 3D studio max and bake the high-res detail onto the low-res mesh using xNormal. The following images are examples of this process and my quick little experiment:
This image is the 'low-res, high-res' model consisting of two zbrushed spheres at about 150,000 tris used for retopologizing in max. The actual 'high-res' model used for the baking was ~700,000 tris (I didn't bother to take a picture of that).
This is the low-res 'game-ready' model. As you can see, I didn't spend much time on it. The goal was to make sure I could bake a multi-mesh onto a unified mesh. The test succeeded.
All engines are go!